April 14, 2009

The 23 Year Old Publisher

























Welcome to my very first blog! I'm 23 and I'm the CEO and Publisher of a media company called College Media Group.

It all began with an idea I had to start a magazine for college students, by college students, called [shock] College. Not only would the magazine serve as a resource for students (with articles covering the academic issues such as tailoring your resume to the real life social issues, such as living with a drug-dealing roommate) but also as an opportunity for aspiring student journalists and photographers to get their work published and distributed to students worldwide. I started working on the first issue May 2007 during my senior year of college at the University of Maryland. I decided to start small with just 5,000 magazines at Maryland—“start small and make it great, then grow” was the plan. College magazine officially released September 2007. It was a beautiful, 32-page glossy with Rachel Wood, freshman and aspiring actress, on the cover.

Today we're on our sixth issue of College magazine, we distribute to nine universities in the DC/Baltimore area, we launched our website: www.collegemagazine.com, every three weeks we release our College e-newsletter and we run College events. College Media has come a long way from just a magazine and this is only the beginning.

I work with an amazing team of students and professionals and minute-by-minute College Media gets bigger and better. Every day, working on the business is an adventure; there are some things you plan for but there are so many surprises along the way.

Simply put, I love what I do! I hope this blog will serve as a resource for you and other young entrepreneurs. Sure our parents wish we were working the always-dependable 9-5, but life is just more exciting when you're running your dream business.

No comments:

Post a Comment